Marija Savić holds both BA and MA in English philology from the University of Novi Sad, where she is also a doctoral student of linguistics. Her main interest is contact linguistics and in particular the influence of English on Serbian syntax, semantics, pragmatics, and vocabulary.
So far, she has participated in several linguistic conferences, in Novi Sad and Belgrade, Serbia, and Pula, Croatia, where she presented and published her works on pseudo-Anglicisms, and in Celje, Slovenia, where she co-authored a paper on the development of sustainable rural tourism in underdeveloped regions of Montenegro.
She’s a native speaker of Serb(ocroat)ian (BCS, to be precise), with full professional fluency in English, and a limited ability to communicate in Spanish, Dutch and French; and with basic knowledge of Latin, Portuguese and Russian. She also tried learning Chinese and Turkish and is fascinated with Arabic.
She has worked as an English teacher in several primary and secondary schools in Šabac, Serbia. However, she currently resides in Novi Sad, where she works as a full time English teacher, tutor and freelance SEO copywriter and community manager, reader, proofreader and English-Serbian translator and interpreter.
Due to her active involvement in youth mobility sector and the dedicated interest in European Commission Youth in Action and Erasmus Plus programmes, she has participated in several youth exchanges and training courses held in Bar, Montenegro; Sofia, Bulgaria; Krzyžowa, Poland; Hódmezővásárhely, Hungary; Skopje, Macedonia; Otzenhausen, Germany; and Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
In her free time, if she is not travelling Europe (i.e. pinning a new country on her “been to in Europe” map), she can be found in her karate training sessions, blogging on SEO, SEM, SMM and social media, blogging on her local handball club’s games or her cycling association, practicing calligraphy and learning about fountain pens, or enjoying her solitude in the company of a good read with the soothing sound of autumn rain beating against her window.
Areas of Expertise
- Serbian orthography
- Contact linguistics
- English linguistics
- Keen eye for detail
- Translation Interpreting
- WordPress website development
- SEO copywriting
- Community management
Master in English philology – Faculty of Philosophy, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia
Bachelor with honours in English philology – Faculty of Philosophy, University of Novi Sad, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2019 – Making Europe Work training course organized by Junge Europäische Föderalisten – Jugend für Europa – Otzenhausen, Germany
- 2018 – Making Europe Work training course organized by Junge Europäische Föderalisten – Jugend für Europa – Otzenhausen, Germany
- 2017 – Making Europe Work training course organized by Junge Europäische Föderalisten – Jugend für Europa – Otzenhausen, Germany
- 2016 – Startup yourself training course organized by Association of European Border Regions (AEBR) and Central European Service for Cross-Border Initiatives Balkans and supported by the European Commission Youth in Action programme – Hódmezővásárhely, Hungary
- TRAIN programme aimed at professional improvement and development of academic skills of young academics, university employees, teaching and research assistants and doctoral students – Novi Sad, Serbia
- Training school on gender in Research and in Horizon 2020 Projects, organized by the COST Network GenderSTE – Gender, science, technology, and environment, with the support of the University of Novi Sad – Novi Sad, Serbia
- Practice Peace TC, organized by Kreisau Initiative e.V. from Berlin, in cooperation with partner organizations, financed by the European Commission “Erasmus plus” programme – Skopje, FYR Macedonia
- 2015 – Practice Peace TC, organized by Kreisau Initiative e.V. from Berlin, with partner organizations, financed by the European ComissionErasmus plus programme – Krzyžowa, Poland
- 2013 – European Citizenship in Youth Work training course, financed by Youth in Action programme of the European Commission – Sofia, Bulgaria
- Build World’s Future training course, organized by the Volunteering Initiative Podgorica, financed by the European Commission Youth in Action programme – Bar, Montenegro
- 2012 – European Handball Championship for women, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2012 – IWOBA VIII – 8th International Workshop on Balto-Slavic Accentology, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2012 – European Handball Championship for men, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2011 – The 6th International Interdisciplinary Symposium Encounter of Cultures, Novi Sad, Serbia
- European Team Championship in Athletics, 2nd league, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 10th Festival of Optimism: Baby Exit, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2011 – English Language Teachers’ Association Conference, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2011 – 1st International English Language and Anglophone Literatures Today Conference, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2011 – 38th European Karate Championship for juniors and cadets and 3rd Cup for younger seniors, Novi Sad, Serbia
- 2009 – Universiade Belgrade 2009; Belgrade, Serbia